It's that time of year again - homestead exemptions are due! If your clients took possession of their homes before December 31st, they are eligible for homestead exemption for this tax year.
We've put together a homestead guide so you can help your clients understand what homestead is, who qualifies for it, what's required to file, and how they can file for homestead exemption.
What is Homestead Exemption?
The Florida Homestead Exemption is an exemption that reduces the taxable value of your home by as much as $50,000, within certain value limits.
Who Qualifies for Homestead Exemption?
- The property you want to claim the exemption for must be your permanent residence OR the permanent residence of someone you can claim as a dependent on your taxes.
- You must have lived at the property on or before a specified date of the tax year in question. To claim the homestead exemption on your 2021 taxes, you must have lived at the property in question by 12/31/2021.
- You cannot have rented the property for more than 30 days in a given calendar year. Renting the property for more than 30 days for two consecutive years or for more than six months is considered an abandonment of the Florida homestead exemption.
What is Required When Filing for Homestead Exemption?
Each county has different required documents, but it's safe to have the following readily available when filing for homestead exemption.
- FL Drivers license or State issued I.D. Card
- Vehicle Registration - at least one of your vehicles must be registered in the state of Florida at the property address in an application.
- If registered to vote, your voter registration with Voter ID# and issue date.
- Permanent Resident Alien Cards (if applicable)
Where Do My Clients Go to File for Homestead?
Alachua County: 352-374-5230
Citrus County: 352-341-6600
Hardee County: 863-773-2196
Hernando County: 352-754-4190
Hillsborough County: 813-272-5519
Lee County: 239-533-6100
Manatee County: 941-748-8208
Marion County: 352-368-8300
Pasco County: 352-521-4433
Pinellas County: 727-464-3207
Polk County: 863-534-4777
These are the requirements: https://www.polkpa.org/Downloads/Files/HX%20Requirements.pdf
Sarasota County: 941-861-8200
Sumter County: 352-569-6800