Buying a home is an exciting time for many people. To help you buy your home with more confidence, make sure you get owner’s title insurance. Here’s why it’s so important for you.
1. Protects Your Largest Investment
A home is probably the single largest investment you’ll make in your life. You insure everything else that’s valuable to you—your life, car, personal property, health, pets, jewelry, etc.—so why not your largest investment? For a one-time fee, owner’s title insurance protects your property rights for as long as you or your heirs* own the home.
2. Reduces Your Risk
If you’re buying a home, there are many hidden issues that may pop up after purchasing it. Getting an owner’s title insurance policy protects you from legal title discrepancies. Don’t think it will happen to you? Think again. Here are just some of the many situations that you’ll be protected from if you have owner’s title insurance.
Unforeseeable title claims, such as:
- Forgery: making a false document
- For example, the seller misrepresents the identity of the person selling the property.
- Fraud: deception to achieve unfair gain
- For example, someone steals your identity and either sells your house without your knowledge or consent, or takes out a second mortgage on the property and walks away with the money.
- Clerical error: inconsistent paperwork and historical records
- For example, an unforeseeable discrepancy in the property or fence line causes confusion in ownership rights.
Unexpected title claims, such as:
- Outstanding mortgages and judgments, or liens against the property because the seller didn’t pay required taxes
- Pending legal action against the property that could affect your ownership
- An unknown heir of a previous owner who is claiming ownership of the property
3. Covers Your Heirs*
As long as you or your heirs* own your home, owner’s title insurance protects your property rights. It’s really simple, as you can see by clicking this visual explanation of owner’s title insurance.
4. Nothing Compares
Home insurance and warranties protect only the inside of the home. Getting owner’s title insurance ensures your family’s property rights stay protected. The value from this one-time fee is unbeatable; And, usually the cost for owner’s title insurance is 0.5% of the home’s purchase price.
5. Peace of Mind
If you’re buying a home, owner’s title insurance lets you rest assured, with the knowledge that you won’t be stuck with certain existing debts or legal problems once you’ve closed on your new home.
Want more information?
Hillsborough Title helps homebuyers like you understand the importance of title insurance, so you can protect your property rights. Feel free to reach out to our team by clicking HERE. We’d love to help protect your dream home!
*For exact terms, conditions, exclusions, and limitations, please contact a Hillsborough Title location near you.